Disclaimer: Since Swift deals with things they wouldn't want us to share publicly, we were limited to what pictures we could take. Here are the ones that were approved for public display.
This is Swift's main building, also known as Building A. Located about 45 minutes North of HTHNC. The commute was tiring but worth it.
This is Doug. He is a Project Manager in Building B. He tasked us with figuring out a solution for tracking expired material in Swift's freezer.
This is Andrew. He is an engineer. He tasked us with making a power supply and bow for a foam cutter.
Our cubicle, where we worked on the foam cutter. We spent a majority of our time here, researching or ordering parts.
We shadowed Doug in building B. He tasked us with figuring out a solution of inventory management, which I mention later in this photo essay. We worked in his office for a few days.
After we received the parts that we ordered, we created a mock up of the power supply, using blue tape to identify connections.
We were able to learn how to solder, which neither of us had much experience in. We were just given a quick rundown and were left to our own devices.
Here is the circuit, soldered and shrink wrapped. We ended up testing three times before we realized that the transformer was on backwards. It worked fine after we fixed that.
I measure the distance for the hole for the LED.
We drilled the various holes needed to mount all the components withing the junction box.
I had to make sure all the parts could fit in the junction box. It was a tight squeeze, but it fit.
The finished power-supply. Surprisingly, everything worked!
We began work on the bow of the foam cutter, which would hold the Ni-chrome wire. The tool we used here etched a line into the aluminum so we would have a guide when drilling holes.
We used a very large and accurate mill. It had a computer that aided you in placing the bit in a precise location. Here I am cutting the hole for the bolt that will hold the wire.
The finished foam cutter bow. 6 feet long yet light enough to hold with one hand. I was relived that all the parts we ordered fit together.
After we finished the power supply, we hooked it up to the bow to dial in the right amount of power needed to cut foam.
The foam cutter was a success. We cut out an airfoil out of a block of foam. It wasn't perfect, but for a first try, it wasn't too bad.
The sub-zero freezer. Not fun to stay in with only a lab coat. We needed to figure out a fast and easy way to identify expired materials. We needed a solution that could survive the extreme cold.
Our solution was QR codes and colored labels. The codes, when scanned, would remind you the day of expiration via the calender app built included with smartphones. The color on the label represents a quarter in a year and the number signified the year e.g. 2015.